Saturday, February 22, 2014

Calf liver dog treats...

I made calf liver dog treats today and wanted to share the recipe with those who bake their own treats.

1 pkg of calf liver (3/slices)
2-1/4 C of wheat germ
2-1/4 C of dry powdered milk
3 TBS of brewers yeast
3 eggs
1 C of water (ONLY add to moisten a little at a time)

First I cook the calf liver in a little garlic infused olive oil on medium heat and cover.  Cook just a couple of minutes or until brown through.  Then I puree or grate and set aside.

I mix the wheat germ, dry milk and yeast together in a mixer.  Add the eggs one by one and add some water until the mix is is a little moist.  I only add the water as needed.  Then add the pureed liver.  Mix and add water little by little until the mix is tacky moist.

I prefer to use a sheet of parchment paper to bake on.  I use a regular spoon to just spoon a half dollop on the pan.  These cookies do not rise so you can place them rather close together for baking.  I usually cook up a batch and then wrap the remaining mix in plastic wrap (2/times) and then put it in the freezer. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

Keep the cookies in an air tight container and place in the fridge. Cookies are good for about a week in the fridge but normally my dogs eat them well before then.

when you're ready to pull the frozen log out I also thaw my mix in the fridge and then I bake them.

My dogs absolutely love these cookies and I really must love my dogs because the smell of cooking liver is in my opinion disgusting.  I can't even touch them before cooking.  I cut the package open and dump right into the pan.  I make my own treats for them because then I know what is going in them and liver (beef or calf) is super cheap and can be found in the frozen meat section.  And by cheap I mean $1.50 for a package (3/slices).  I will sometimes use ground turkey (1 lb) in this recipe.  It is also about $1.50 for a 1 pound package.

Good luck and I am certain that your dogs will love them!








No comments:

Post a Comment

A little something about us...

My photo
Kentwood, Michigan, United States
My husband and I have been together for twenty two years now and are still just as happy as we were in the beginning. We have similar interests and one in particular is that we love animals and taking care of them. Mike and I volunteer our time with our local Wildlife Rehab Center (WRC) rehabbing squirrels mostly. Baby squirrels are so adorable and a rare site to most. We have two wonderful children. Which most of the time they totally think their mom is a weirdo. LOL:)