Sunday, October 9, 2011

so nieve...

Sarah and I went to Saugatuck on Saturday to hike up Mount Baldhead.  After we did the great climb of 382 stairs we definetly were hungry.  We decided to go into town to have some dinner and walk through the little town that is along the water.  We decide to go into a place called the Mermaid.  It looked quite inviting.  So, we make our way into the place and when we walked in everyone in the placed seemed to be starring at us.  We made our way past the bar and kinda stood around just waiting for a hostess to seat us.  Sarah tried to grab the attention of the waitress passing by but yea....that didn't work.  She wouldn't even look at us.  We both had commented on how uncomfortable we were feeling and people were still starring at us.  Sarah & I both looked at each other and said, "I don't think I want to eat here".  We decided to leave and check out another place to have dinner.  Today my friend Meg called and I told her how we were ignored and just felt really out of place there.  Her comment, "Mary, it's because you two were pegged as lesbians".  I'm like, huh?  She said yes, these people saw two hikers, taking pictures and just spending the day together as girlfriends...lesbians.  It never occurred to either one of us.  But after I got to thinking about it....that they were seeing me as the "guy" because I was sporting a ball cap!  I guess kudos to Sarah for getting to be the girl in this relationship.  You know being "ousted" like this really surprises me because if you know Saugatuck then you are well aware that it is known as a gay community.  You see it all the time there.
Nonetheless, we had a fabulous day hiking it up all those stairs and seeing the absolute beautiful colors that Michigan has to offer this time of year.  Oh and man o' man are we feeling each and every one of those stairs today!  ouch....ouch...ouch....
Pictures to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

A little something about us...

My photo
Kentwood, Michigan, United States
My husband and I have been together for twenty two years now and are still just as happy as we were in the beginning. We have similar interests and one in particular is that we love animals and taking care of them. Mike and I volunteer our time with our local Wildlife Rehab Center (WRC) rehabbing squirrels mostly. Baby squirrels are so adorable and a rare site to most. We have two wonderful children. Which most of the time they totally think their mom is a weirdo. LOL:)